Does this sound familiar?
- Your hose is exposed to temperatures below -50°F or above +300°F.
- Your hose’s cover is cracking.
- Your hose is exposed to harsh chemicals.
- You keep replacing the same hose over and over.
- You wish you could use a metal (rigid) tube, but you need the flexibility of a hose.
If this is you, stop replacing the same hose over and over – go for a flexible metal hose!
The Resilience of a Tube – The Flexibility of a Hose
Flexible metal hose assemblies are specially designed for applications where chemicals and temperature extremes are present and flexibility is required.
Flexible metal hose assemblies are leak-free, full-vacuum solutions.
The standard metal hose and ultra flexible metal hose products are constructed with a hydro-formed corrugated stainless steel core tube. Hydroforming, which utilizes high pressure water to form the corrugations, minimizes residual stress in the metal and maintains a consistent tube wall thickness throughout the hose.
Any hose assembly is only as good as its weakest link; in the case of a metal hose assembly, the weakest link can be the welding process. The methods of seam and butt welding, as well as fitting attachment, utilized in flexible metal hose assemblies yield a consistent, reliable, leak-free connection.
There are many different types of end connections available for flexible metal hose assemblies:
- Male Pipe Thread (NPT & NPTF)
- Female Pipe Thread
- Male and Female JIC 37° Flare
- Universal Tube Stub
- Female O-ring Face Seal
- Instrumentation Compression
- Flange Fittings
Flexible metal hose assemblies are available in three styles to accommodate the diverse applications of flexible metal hoses. Tube material is available in either 316L or 321 Stainless Steel. Outer jacket (cover) is available in T304 or T316 Stainless Steel.
Metal Hose Features
- Stainless Steel construction results in excellent chemical resistance.
- Metal hoses maintain integrity in high temperature environments - up to 1200°F
- Metal hoses are available in a wide range of sizes – ¼” I.D. up to 6” I.D. Contact us for larger sizes.
- Hydro-formed design yields a uniform wall thickness, promoting even distribution of stress during flexing and reducing concentrated residual stress.
- Metal hoses maintain their shape under full-vacuum.
- Zero permeation means that harsh chemicals will not escape into the environment.
- Seam and butt welding result in leak-free fitting connections.
- Metal hoses are suitable for cryogenic applications (temperatures as low as -380°F).
Select Flexible Metal Hose for Your Application
- Standard (Such as Parker 9A Hose) – Suitable for most applications
- Ultra Flexible (Such as Parker 9M Hose) – Reduced minimum bend radius
- High Pressure (Such as Parker 9H) – Up to 5800 psi working pressure
In summary, flexible metal hose assemblies are a true alternative to hard line Steel or Stainless Steel tube assemblies where greater flexibility is needed. Because flexible metal hose assemblies are stainless steel throughout, they meet the need for chemical and extreme temperature resistance. The corrugated core tube allows flexibility that a hard line cannot. Hose reinforcement matters, be sure to choose the correct hose.
Contact us at Hose & Fittings, Etc. to help you identify the appropriate flexible metal hose assembly for your application!
Posted by Roger Winchell